Questions: DNA structure and replication
1 DNA Structure
1. What is the relevance of understanding the
mechanisms of genetic information maintenance and
for the field of pharmacy?
2. List the
similarities and differences between the three main types of DNA double helix.
3. List three 3 forces that stabilize
DNA double helix.
3. What are the hydrogen bonding
features of a major groove sequence AT-GC-CG?
4. Why is
negatively supercoiled DNA preferred
for DNA replication?
5. Which of the
following sequences is likely to be a R. E. site and why?
G T A
T A G
G T T A
A G G C C T
T A A G C C
6. Draw the
mechanism of DNA Ligase.
7. What are the
cellular roles of DNA gyrase?
8. Why is ATP
required for Topoisomerase I activity?
9. Explain the
mechanism of action of the drugs
that target Topoisomerase I.
10. List two 2 drugs that target DNA gyrase. What is the mechanism of
2. DNA Synthesis
1. Draw the reaction
catalyzed by DNA polymerase and explain its chemical
2. What are the
requirements for DNA polymerization?
3. Describe the proofreading mechanisms
employed by DNA polymerase.
4. Describe the
major features of DNA Pol I structure.
What are their roles in DNA replication?
5. Draw the replication fork and
describe the role
of each protein involved in DNA
6. Describe two
types of mutations that can occur
due to nucleotide mis-incorporation.
7. Describe how chemical DNA damage
can lead to mutations.
8. How do mismatch repair proteins
recognize the newly synthesized DNA strand?
9. List at least
two 2 mechanisms of inhibiting DNA
syntheses in tumor cells.