Biochemistry Quiz on Amino Acids
Instructions: Answer each question that appears in the left hand frame by clicking on a feature in the image that is shown in the right hand frame. This quiz requires a Frame-enabled browser, such as Netscape Navigator 3.0. See Netscape's home page for current information.
Start the Quiz.
Start the Quiz.
- The questions:
- There are 15 questions that cover all 20 amino acids.
- Correct answers will take you to a comment on the amino acid.
- Incorrect answers will give you two options:
- Try again; or
- Look at a "Hint".
- The images:
- The amino acid structures are shown as their pH = 7 (zwitterionic) form.
- The RasMol display modes used are: Ball & Stick, Sticks, and Spacefill.
The atoms are shown with RasMol coloring:
- Carbon: gray;
- Oxygen: red;
- Hydrogen: white;
- Nitrogen: light blue;
- Sulfur: yellow.
- The coordinate files used are from Klotho.
- The links:
- Links (colored red) within each question provide additional information or structures.
- Links at the bottom of the question pages are to sites on the WWW where information is available on amino acids, e.g. where structures can be displayed in RasMol and where various properties are compiled. From the question pages, these links will open from within the "Links & Glossary" frame. The same links are listed below; they will open a full page when clicked here.
Back to Molecular Models for Biochemistry at CMU.
Links & Glossary
The following links provide information on amino acids:
Dr. William McClure
- Glossary of terms.
- Klotho: Biochemical Compounds Declarative Database.
- Amino Acid Properties.
- Atlas of Side-Chain and Main-Chain Hydrogen Bonding.
Department of Biological Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213